Monday, October 8, 2012

[1] #29: Sponsorship

I attended an event in the spring hosted by the Christian radio station Life 100.3fm, echoed in my area as the frequented frequency 98.9fm. The night was primarily a musical one and featured Sean and Aimee Dayton (North Bay locals and acknowledged as honoured community leaders in my small-h-home), among others; but what caught my heart that night wasn't drummed, strummed or sung... it was seen.


During one of the intermissions between sets they played a video advertizing Compassion International; it featured a series of interview clips with people who are involved in the organization -- but the catch at the end was that each person they featured was a sponsored child, all grown up. The story changed from this is what you can do for them, to this is what somebody like you did for me. It was a brilliant move as far as marketing goes, but I believe the grip around my heart was more Spirit than suggestion. I picked up a package that day and introduced a few close friends to a little Togan girl called Jaqueline Mokpokpo Adjovi Atchiki who liked singing and playing hide and seek. She was a cutie, but I waited too long to act on her behalf and my chance expired in August. 

Last Wednesday I sat down with the phone and called Compassion like I should have in July. Another kind soul picked up Jaqueline and has been taking care of her for a while. Thanks to Raquel, my refreshingly friendly receptionist, I am now the beaming-proud sponsor of Manish Kushwaha. He's just turned six years old, and until I get the rest of his information in the mail that's about all I know of him! Raquel picked him out for me; all I asked was that she give me someone from India. Something about that country holds a heavy place in my heart. One day I hope to go and meet this little one. 

As I learn more about my little Manish I'll keep you in the loop. 

One last thing: If you think of it, say a little prayer tonight for the kids who don't get picked up off the tables or assigned over the phone. Prayer is just as powerful as money, and can move a lot faster. I truly believe that, you know.   

No comments:

Post a Comment