Monday, October 8, 2012

[1] #46: Baking Soda Smile

"There is no minty freshness!"


I was reminded by a friend this weekend, that having begun my 77 Things in October and having accomplished "about four of them," I had better get cracking. Today, I cross another off my list and write a long-overdue update... but first, a little history lesson.

According to my research (in the culturally immortalized words of that 1990's fictional bookworm Dorothy Ann,) anthropological evidence for an attempt at dental hygiene can be found in many cultures as far back as Babylon. Everything from frayed sticks to pig hair bristles to strapped-together feathers have been used throughout the ages to scratch off that nasty plaque, assisted by a staggering variety of pastes and powders including but not limited to: pumice stones, egg-and-sea-shells, charcoal, chalk, salt and tree bark. Many of these pre-tubed options are less than desirably described and would tempt the applicant of them to just deal with the morning breath (ox hoof ash jumped out as one of these), but by the time we flip the global calendar form 1899 to 1900, the standard practice for pearling your whites was a healthy dose of baking soda - no oven required.

I got the idea for this one after watching a BBC show called "1900 House," conveniently hosted on YouTube (the practice is mentioned in "Part 06" and seen in "Part 08," for those of you Curious Georges), and after having tried it... well, let's say that I'm very happy with my 2012 Colgate and Scope! Baking Soda is a salty sort of bitter powder, for those of you who don't do much from-raw cookery. It is not an independently tasty ingredient. I spent a few sputtering minutes over the sink trying to "clean" my mouth, and eventually gave in to the more formally recognized mouthwash on my counter as a rinse of sorts. Even as I write I can still taste the soda on my lips, but I'm sure the flavour will fade sooner than the memory. 

More updates to come as I wade backwards through my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment